Los Angeles Defense Area Site LA-29
Rocky Stovall thanks ttp://www.militarymuseum.org/LA29.html (Historic California Post, Camp, Stations and Airfields) for making the following information available online to the general public.
The Army acquired 92.09 acres for Nike Battery #29 during the period 1955 to 1958. The property includes a Control Area (10.96 acres), adjacent Administrative and Launch Areas (21.00 acres, plus 31.97 acres of safety easements), and utility line easements and access roads (28.16 acres). The Army used the site as an anti-aircraft missile battery for the defense of the Los Angeles area. Improvements consisted of approximately 23 buildings and facilities for operations, administration, recreation, housing, vehicle maintenance, missile assembly and testing. Additionally, there were four towers: Target Tracking Radar (TTR), Missile Tracking Radar (MTR), Low Power Acquisition Radar (LOPAR), and High-Power Acquisition Radar/Alternate Battery Acquisition Radar (HIPAR/ABAR) systems. Also three underground missile storage structures (magazines), and a septic system for each of the three areas. The site was initially armed with the MIM-3 Nike-Ajax air defense missile. From December of 1960 to April 1961, the site was converted to house and operate the much larger MIM-14 Nike Hercules.
The site was initial armed with the MIM-3 Nike-Ajax air defense missile. From December of 1960 to April 1961, the site was was converted to house and operate the much larger MIM-14 Nike Hercules.
The site was reported excess to the General Services Administration (GSA) in 1971. Various license and easement agreements for 24.81 acres were terminated between 1965 and 1972. GSA assigned the remaining property to the Department of Interior, Bureau of Outdoor Recreation (BOR), which conveyed 67.28 acres to the City of Brea by Quitclaim Deed dated 13 July 1973. The deed stipulated that the property was to be used for public park or recreation, and it contained a recapture clause.
In 1978 the Seabees (Navy) demolished most of the buildings at the request of the City of Brea. Much of the demolition debris was dumped into the missile silos. In 1985 the property conveyed to the City of Brea reverted back to the U.S. Government under the administration of GSA due to noncompliance with deed restrictions. In 1987 GSA attempted to fill existing silo openings with soil in an effort to eliminate safety hazards and prevent entry by vandals. GSA plans to dispose of their holdings completely.
Beneficial use of the property includes the use of one concrete foundation for storage of honeybee hives and a 60,000-gallon water tank used to supply two watering troughs for cattle and horses that graze on the property. The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department is using a recently constructed communications facility located on the 10.96-acre Control Site, which it acquired by license from the GSA.
Army and Army National Guard units that garrisoned the site:
More about site LA-29:
ROCKY'S STORIESRocky Stovall writes about his time at site LA-29
SITE VISITMark Morgan takes a walk up the hill to site LA-29
ROCKY STOVALLRocky Stovall tells more stories and describes experiences that differ from statements found elsewhere on NikeMissile.org
IFC PHOTOSAlvin "Butch" Ball shares photos of the IFC when he was there